Friday, August 8, 2008

I'm Extabated!!!!


OH yeah!!! Noah was extabated today! and they skipped the CPAP machine and went straight to a nasal cannula - Awesome! Stefanie and I are thrilled and Nurse Nicole said she was pleased with his work today and we are very proud of him. That's right he has to do all the work now - no machines are helping. Then to top it all off - WE GOT TO HOLD HIM AND ROCK HIM AND KISS HIM!! And to top that off - he is now at 9ml/hr of milk!

So tomorrow will be a big day. If he hold his CO2 levels down and breathes well on his own he will stay on the nasal cannula and we can start kangaroo care. We strip him to his diaper hold him on our chest to keep him warm. It's great bonding time for all involved.

A nasal cannula is a device that consists of a plastic tube which fits behind the ears, and a set of two prongs which are placed in the nostrils. Oxygen flows from the prongs. Noah is at 35% O2 right now.


We are so grateful for his progress and his great doctors and Wonderful Nurses!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I am so excited to see ya'll getting to hold him. I can't wait every day to come and check on little Noah! :-) Congrats Rich and Steph...you have a tough little tiger there!

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!! I'm so excited to see Noah without the vent and no CPAP!! Plus how super is it that you guys got to hold him!! Y'alls huge smiles say it all. This is awesome news! Geaux Noah Geaux!! =-)